Sunday, March 25, 2007

South Carolina Constitutionaly Anti-Gay

This Thursday, South Carolina officially became Constitutionally Anti-gay. Although the constitutional amendment was approved in November, lawmakers officially added the amendment on Thursday to discriminate against same-sex couples, and their rights to find happiness and liberty in each other. According to the Washington Blade, four out of five South Carolina voters voted for the amendment. South Carolina, my home state, the place that I have given all of my life to enhance, make proud, and clean, you have just disappointed me with your ignorance and lack of compassion for fellow citizens of your state and country. Let me take this time to present to you a opposite but equal point of view, let me now show you what it is to be in the eyes of someone who is taught by their government not to love:

(The following is obviously a hypothetical situation because of its absurdity, well we thought so too)
The United States decides to take all money, heath insurance, homes, ability to travel, jobs, education, and the right to live from all South Carolinians. Most of the citizens of the States agree, even when not benefiting from the legislation, should remove any rights from the state of South Carolina because they are not as intelligent and incapable of being valued members of the country. The United States decides to go to a vote on the matter, already knowing the outcome but feeling it necessary to show proper protocol when discriminating against a diverse group of people. When the vote comes in, as planned, the vote is overwhelmingly in support of the destruction of South Carolina, just further allowing the country to spit in the face of South Carolinians. The people of South Carolina wonder how the people who were not effected by the legislation were able to vote on its outcome. They also wonder how it is fair that people were allowed to vote on their destruction at all. How would this make you feel, if you read this in the newspaper or on a blog assuming you knew it was non-fiction?

Please allow yourself to ponder this situation, and turn the perspective as if standing in front of a mirror, and know that you voted to discriminate against one of your own, one of the great, one of the underestimated, one of the headstrong South Carolinians. Please remember what you did.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are the things that will keep South Carolina in the dark ages. I'm not gay, but the idea of raising a family in a place that in constitutionally bigoted seems ludicrous. Things like this are driving young successful people like me, the future of this state, away. In 50 years, this will be a backass state of idiots and deadbeats, even more than it is now.

Nick Shalosky said...

I agree that this legislation is "bigoted" but I have to have faith in my state anyway. I know that this has been a slap in my face straight from my state capitol, but I must continue to fight for it, fight for the place I love, fight for my home.

Lynne said...

Just found your blog and totally agree with you. Straight but not narrow, I've blogged about the homophobes in this country for some time now. I was especially pissed over the South Carolina amendment vote. I find the people in this state to be painfully backward.
Anyway, nice blog. Good on ya!

Anonymous said...

Gays will never be equal in this state. You are second class citizens and always will be. So give up and/or leave you faggots.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.