Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The "Gay Vote Button" at the SC Democratic Convention

Friday April 27th, 2007 marked the annual SC Jefferson-Jackson Dinner and the Jim Clyburn Fish Fry. Along with my professor and another student, I wore a button reading "Gay Vote" in red, white, and blue. Armed with extras to distribute to advocates of our cause, we headed for the convention center. Upon arrival to the Columbia SC Convention Center, I stumbled upon Joe Biden (Senator Delaware) who gave me a firm handshake, a big smile, and the words "I'm with ya" while pointing to my button.
My professor has always been an advocate of being seen, and swears by the power of the "Gay Vote Button." Much to his credit, I immediately saw how well politicians and others who attended the convention responded to the button. After shaking hands with Biden, I walked over to the John Edwards Campaign. While Mr. Edwards chatted with reporters, I spoke with Mrs. Edwards. She mentioned the button and told us she was glad to see us at the convention. We conversed for a few minutes and made friends. I felt that she was a very heart warming person and could bring a great deal of compassion to her husband's campaign.
After spotting Bill Richardson preparing to make his entrance into the convention center, my professor and I swiftly caught up with him and his small entourage. I introduced myself to the governor of New Mexico and thanked him for his service thus far to the gay and lesbian community. My professor, Tom Chorlton, stepped up behind me and said "Mr. Governor, I would like for you to reconsider your position on gay marriage." Mr. Richardson said, "What about civil unions?" Mr. Chorlton then came back quickly saying "If Hispanic people were limited to civil unions you would never stand for it, equality is the only right thing." After Richardson gave a moment of silent reflection he stated "I'll consider it."
Tom Chorlton and I decided to base our questions on the ever so popular issue of gay marriage; figuring that that would be the issue that would hit closer to home on the campaign trail. Gay marriage is of course very important to us, but in my in my opnioin there are much more important issues facing the LGBT community, but gay marriage seemed our conversation piece.
While meeting many new people and just enjoying being around many other liberal people in a conservative state, I was amazed at the responses I was getting from my button. A woman at the Edwards campaign party noted that she once worked for the SC legislator and always did everything she could to prevent prohibition on gay adoption. She had a gay son who died from AIDS and was very thankful that someone was supporting his cause.
The three of us were separated at the banquet, but I quickly made friends with the six women who were sitting at my table. Two girls fresh from law school, one very outspoken but very sweet woman from Bluffington, a retired lobbiest from Washington, and two women from the Low Country.
As Obama and Dodd were coming and going from the banquet, I hurried to meet them and get a handshake. After the banquet, I headed over the the Jim Clyburn Fish Fry with my new friend from Washington. After having seen all the partying, I saw Joe Biden speaking with some of the party attendees. I quickly ran over to speak with him and get a picture. After Chorlton and I spoke with Biden he agreed to meet with us at a later date. Of the morning of the convention, the annual Progressive Caucus met at Damon's for a Progressive Caucus breakfast. The Progressive Caucus consisted of individuals in support of minorities such as African-Americans, Hispanics, Sexual Orientaions, ect. Bill Richardson was the only candidate who attended the breakfast, Chris Dodd's wife made an appearance, and Joe Biden's sister and campaign manager came.
For a general personal opinion about the candidates at the convention my list for who I like is:

1. Bill Richardson
2. Joe Biden
3. Dennis Kucinich
4. Hillary Clinton
5. Barak Obama
6. John Edwards


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting account.

I think part of the positive reaction you get from people to that button has to do with the courage that necessarily accompanies it. In SC, doing something like that is still an act of courage. I admire your doing so.

I'm just curious...why is Obama not higher on your list?

Vanessa said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your experiences in the political world! I can hear the excitement in your words as you describe the events!
You do get positive reactions because when people see that contagious smile of yours and hear your heartfelt feelings, they are drawn in by your charisma!
I am surprised that Hilary is not higher on yourlist.. How about Hilary for President?? Time for a woman to take that job!!!

Nick Shalosky said...

My feelings on Obama and Hillary, come from my love of grassroot politics. When I was at the convention, Edwards, Obama, and Clinton were so impersonal and seemed like sell-outs. I don't know if I always root for the underdog but it's just like in sports, I like people that love the game, not sell out.

Anonymous said...

sireexege

[url=http://healthplusrx.com/memory-problems]memory problems[/url]
Frolbobia